Seresto® Flea & Tick Collar for cats.
Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar gives you peace of mind that your pet is well protected. Seresto is clinically proven to kill fleas and actively repel and kill ticks. With Seresto you can forget
fleas and ticks for 7-8 months.
Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar is the longest-lasting single application flea and tick protection available, giving you peace of mind for 7-8 months.
- Remove the collar from the protective bag directly before use. Unroll the collar and remove any remaining plastic connectors on the inside of the collar.
- Adjust the collar around your cat’s neck without fitting it too tightly (as a guide, you should be able to insert two fingers between the collar and the neck).
- Pull excess collar through the loop, and cut off any excess that extends beyond 2 cm.
- Check periodically and adjust the fit if necessary, especially in kittens that are growing.
It's an innovative collar that is clinically proven to provide 7-8 months of flea and tick protection for your cat. With Seresto, one collar is all it takes to give you peace of mind for 7-8 months.
Compared to other tick and flea collars, the Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar uses innovative technology that enables it to release controlled doses of the active ingredients over a long period of time. The ingredients are transferred to your cat’s skin and coat, and spread across her entire body, keeping her protected from fleas and ticks for 7-8 months. Clinically proven to kill fleas and actively repel and kill ticks.
The Seresto Flea and Tick control collar used to be a prescription-only product meaning it was only available from licensed veterinarians, but it is now freely available without a prescription. This has made the process of protecting your furry friend even easier. But it is important to make sure you are getting a genuine Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar – that’s why we recommend you purchase from your local veterinary practice, a high street pet retailer or agricultural store. If you are buying online, we recommend using one of our official partners. View our official partners store now on our website.
There are two: imidacloprid, which kills adult fleas and flea larvae; and flumethrin, which repels and kills all life stages of ticks. Both ingredients act through contact without the need for parasites to bite*+.
Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar protects your cat against fleas and ticks for 7-8 months in a single application. It is recommended the collar is replaced after this time to provide continued protection.
Not at all. The collar is odourless, which means you don't have to put up with any of the unpleasant smells you often associate with other flea and tick collars.
If you feel that you are not getting the results that you would expect from your Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar, here are a few points to consider.
- Check that your collar was purchased from an Official Retailer. As with many products, there are counterfeit Seresto collars on the market, but you can be confident your collar is genuine if you have purchased it either from your vet practice, or from this list of Official Retailers. Find out more if you are concerned you may have a Seresto counterfeit product.
- Check that your Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar is fitted correctly as it is important the collar makes sufficient contact with your pet’s skin and coat for it to work effectively. Learn more about how to fit the collar correctly by watching the “How to Apply Seresto® for Cats” video above.
- Ensure that the collar is worn continuously, and, when Seresto is first applied, remember that it can take 48 hours for the active ingredients within the collar to take effect.
- If your pet has fleas, in some instances, when you start using a flea product, it can be normal to still see fleas on your pet for some time when treating an infestation. Learn more about how to tackle a flea infestation.
- If you have seen a tick on your pet when they are wearing Seresto, there may be a number of reasons for this. Ticks may still get onto your cat’s coat when he brushes past them, even if he’s wearing a Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar. The active ingredients work through contact, which means that ticks need to initially jump onto the pet to become exposed to the active ingredient, and the product then acts to repel and kill them. Attachment of individual ticks can occur occasionally, especially in animals that are walked in areas with very high tick burdens. However, the vast majority of ticks will be repelled and killed before they are able to bite.
- If you regularly shampoo your pet, this can reduce the time that Seresto is effective for*. This is because as the active ingredients are washed out of your pet’s skin and coat, Seresto works to release more active ingredients to replace those that are lost, and hence the actives contained within the collar are used up more quickly.
If you have questions about any of the information here, or are still concerned please contact our technical services team on 01256-353 131
*Monthly shampooing or water immersion may affect the duration of action of the collar. See product datasheet for more information
Ticks may still get onto your cat’s coat when she brushes past them, even if she’s wearing a Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar. The active ingredients work through contact, which means that ticks need to initially jump onto the pet to become exposed to the active ingredient, the product then acts to repel and kill them. Attachment of individual ticks can occur occasionally, especially in animals that live in areas with very high tick burdens. However, the vast majority of ticks will be repelled and killed before they are able to bite.
A small amount of mud or dirt on the outer surface of the collar would not be expected to affect its efficacy. Any mud that creates a barrier between the collar and your cat’s coat may impact the efficacy of the collar. If the collar does get dirty, you can simply wipe it down carefully with a moist cloth.
The collar’s active ingredients are bound within the collar matrix, rather than all being on the surface of the collar, however chewing of the collar should still be avoided. It’s possible that mild gastrointestinal signs (e.g. loose stool) may occur if the collar is chewed or swallowed, speak to your vet if you are concerned. If your cat manages to get her own collar into her mouth it’s likely that it is applied too loosely. As a guide, you should be able to fit two fingers between the collar and your cat’s neck.
Mild reactions at the site where the collar has been fitted such as scratching, redness and hair loss can occur occasionally, though they are not common. These symptoms usually disappear within one to two weeks, without the need to remove the collar, as your cat gets used to wearing it. In some cases, temporary collar removal may be recommended until the symptoms have disappeared. In rare cases in cats, allergic reactions including allergic contact dermatitis can occur. In this case, collar removal is recommended.. Please consult your vet if you have any concerns.
Pets wearing the collar should not be allowed to sleep in the same bed as their owners, especially children.
The Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar contains a special ‘polymer matrix’ within the collar and this keeps the largest amount of active substances within the collar so that there is a low amount on the outside. However, do not allow children to play with the collar, or to put it in their mouth.
No. It's important to put a new collar on without any delay so that you don’t leave a gap of time where your cat is unprotected.
No. Stretching the collar for activation is not necessary. Simply fit as instructed for 7-8 months of protection against fleas and ticks.
No, Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar doesn’t work that way. There's no need to brush the collar anywhere on your cat. Simply put the collar around your cat’s neck and make sure you adjust it properly.
Absolutely. The Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar can be worn alongside your cat´s usual collar without compromising its efficacy, provided the Seresto collar is still in contact with the animal’s coat.
This hasn’t been tested and it might have an impact on the level of protection your cat receives. Therefore we strongly discourage you from doing this. To provide the optimum level of flea and tick protection with the collar, it should be worn continuously and replaced every eight months. However, if you’ve removed the collar only temporarily (e.g. during grooming), you can reapply it without any problems.
Used collars or any remnants should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements. The product should not be disposed of in water courses.
Kittens grow at different rates and we recommend frequent checks of the collar and readjustment if necessary. Watch the video above to see how to fit your Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar properly, and always follow the guidance provided.
The collar can be used on kittens aged ten weeks and older.
The Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar is water-resistant and does not need to be removed when a cat gets wet or is bathed. The active ingredients are contained in the collar matrix and will not be released into water if your cat gets wet. They spread through the lipid layer of the cat’s skin and hair and even if this lipid layer is partially washed off by bathing, Seresto will quickly replenish the active ingredients and the pet will be protected again.
However, prolonged, intense exposure to water or extensive shampooing should be avoided as the duration of activity may be reduced. Studies show that monthly shampooing or water immersion does not significantly shorten the eight months’ efficacy duration for ticks after redistribution of the active substances in the coat whereas the product’s flea efficacy gradually decreased, starting in the fifth month.
+ Mehlhorn et al. Parasitol Res (2001) 87:198-207, information is regarding mode of action and is not intended to relate to speed of kill or to imply parasites can be completely stopped from biting.
* An attachment of single ticks after treatment cannot be excluded; for this reason, a transmission of infectious diseases cannot be completely excluded if conditions are unfavourable.
**Correct as of 23rd of July 2021 with 4.6/5 and 79 reviews for Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar for Cats. Some of the reviews on Influenster have been supported with free of charge trial product.
Use Medicines Responsibly www.noah.co.uk/responsible
Seresto Flea and Tick Control collar contains imidacloprid and flumethrin [NFA-VPS]. Further information is available from the datasheet at www.noahcompendium.co.uk or on request. The Bayer cross is a Registered trademark of Bayer AG. Seresto, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates. Elanco UK AH Ltd., Form 2, Bartley Wood Business Park, Bartley Way, Hook, RG27 9XA. Tel. 01256 353131.